Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lots to Write About




I know that it has been a few months since my last post, but there is a good reason for that. Here is a crazy rundown for the latest Schlemmer happenings.....
January: Started full swing with my job, which btw is going great. I love working solo, but having my brother around for me to bounce tons of questions off of. Scott had to return to Minnesota for the whole month of Jan. to finish up some on-site duties with his job. That was a little hard for me having just moved here, but luckily I have lots of family close by to keep me company. I visited my new OB-GYN in Abilene and I LOVE him! He is such a nice, comfortable, and outstanding christian man. I love it that I will be delivering in the same hospital that I started my nursing career in.
February: Scott was home for about a week and then left to visit his parents in Scottsdale, AZ. His dad's cancer at the time had spread to his liver and his doctors decided to take him off the traditional chemo treatments and try their hand at experimental drugs. He had a very nice visit out there, but I knew that I had better get out there soon to see them. So, 2 weeks later Scott and I traveled together to spend some time with them. Unfortunately while we were there, his new doctors decided to take his dad off all treatments and suggested hospice care for the remainder of his time. I was thankful that Scott and I could be there to support them during that difficult time.
March: March 7th, Scott's dad passed away with Scott at his bedside. Everything happened so quickly that I think his mom and everyone else was taken by surprise. We just praise God that Rich isn't suffering anymore. It was hard on Scott to see his dad like that, but he is such a strong man. Scott ended up staying out in AZ for a few more weeks to help his mom get settled and make arrangements for his dad's memorial. We just returned from a skiing trip to Ruidoso this past weekend with some friends. This was Scott's only 2nd time ever to be on snow skis. I couldn't tell though who was better.....my 4 yr old niece or him?!?!?!
Baby Update: I am now 24 weeks along. I finally started "showing" at around 19-20 weeks. Up until that point, people except close friends had no idea that we were expecting. I kinda like it now that I have a baby bump to show off. At our 20 week ultrasound, we held our ground and left the office with only the US tech having the knowledge of the gender of our sweet baby. We have our nursery furniture and are currently trying out paint samples on the wall. My dear friend from ACU, Hayley, is making the baby bedding and I can't wait to see how it all comes together. Baby is kicking and moving like crazy. He/she especially likes to make their presence known @ 2-4 am. Sleeping thru the night has become a thing of the past. Scott and I are really excited to take our babymoon to Austin and Fredricksburg this coming weekend. He has never seen that part of TX and I can always find an excuse to go shopping in F'burg.
So that is the run down of our life happenings. We really do appreciate all the kind words and prayers that have been lifted in regards to Scott's family. We will be traveling to MN the end of April for Rich's memorial. Until next time.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Scott's dad. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

I am proud of you for standing your ground. I wish I were strong enough to not know the gender of our babies. Keep us posted throughout your pregnancy!!!

Perhaps I need to take a little drive to Abilene to meet you for a Rick and Carolyn's Dr. Pepper and a Harold's Chopped Beef Sandwich!!!